Monday, January 13, 2014

The Peanut Patch

Yuma, AZ  High 77  Low 51

This is what I see every morning when I look out the window by my chair. Just incredible.

sunrise2

Friday morning Toni, Doug, and Dianna joined us on a tour of The Peanut Patch. Was not what I expected.

P1070592

 P1070593The Peanut Patch started after WWII when the Didier’s homesteaded the property. The Didier’s decided that peanuts would be a good crop to grow here in Yuma and in 1977 they opened their store to sell their homemade peanut butter and peanuts to the public. In the mid 1990’s a white fly infestation destroyed the peanut crop, and they no longer raise any peanuts here in this area.

P1070589

The “tour” was simply the owner showing us pictures and telling us some of the history of the Didier’s and how peanuts are grown. She did grind some peanuts and we all got to taste fresh peanut butter with no additives. Pretty tasty.

P1070596

Did you know that peanuts are a vegetable? They are a legume. So grab a handful of peanuts the next time someone tells you to eat more veggies.

P1070598

P1070601

Then we were shown where they make their peanut brittle and some of the other items they sell in the store.

P1070607

Their peanut brittle is fantastic as well as their fudge.

P1070609

After the “tour”, Toni and Doug headed to the swap meet and we stopped at a produce stand to get Jim some good tomatoes.

P1070610

P1070590

P1070595

Friday afternoon this guy came to visit.

P1070584

17 comments:

  1. We will attest to the fact that the peanut butter is delicious. And the brittle and the fudge too ;). We are trying to use our peanut butter sparely. Well, I am trying, not so much Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that home made Peanut butter tastes delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanuts are a great way to get your veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut butter is a staple in our home. Can't live without it. I have to take this tour, I've never had freshly made PB, now I'm drooling for some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh ground peanut butter would be so great! No sugar added plus all the other "stuff"

    Looks like you had a great time. Rain here today....Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sunrise is gorgeous Sandie and I'd love some of that peanut brittle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could go for some peanut brittle after reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've all been to lots of places that didn't turn out to be what we expected but I usually find something to enjoy there anyway. Glad you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am going to start eating more veggies...peanut butter pie, peanut butter fudge, peanut butter brownies... YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have expected the plants themselves but I love peanut butter. The tour would be worth it for peanut butter fudge ... if they had that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum....did you say fudge? We will be in Yuma next month....thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting, even if they don't grow the peanuts there any more... nice tour!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also a source of protein.. I grind my own peanuts into peanut better at our local Fred Meyers (Kroeger) store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting and love the sunrise! Sounds like you sure are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I much prefer natural peanut butter to the more commercial brands. If & whenever I have to eat a common brand of peanut butter I can really taste the salt in it. Two thumbs up for the real stuff:))

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhhhh love peanut brittle but it doesn't like me worth a patoo ... fun day! glad y'all are feeling good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.