Friday, September 13, 2013

Lost Trail Pass

Salmon, ID  High    Low

A couple of folks asked me if I fished. The answer to that is a definite “not any more.” I never really fished but when we were dating I’d take a book and read out on the water while Jim fished. After I caught him and we were married, I told him that I was just going to stay home and read. He figured as long as I let him fish whenever he wanted to, that was a great idea.

We left Hamilton this morning at the early hour of 11:00 a.m. Knew we had a long day of 105 miles. (I wrote this blog post last night but we did not have any cell or internet service last night.)

One last look at the Bitterroot River.

P1060542

About 7 miles from the Idaho border you start to climb up Lost Trail Pass.

P1060546The border is at the summit of the pass so you have a long steady, curvy climb up to 7,041 feet.

 

 

 

P1060545The descent is a lot of 20 and 25 mph curves down into the Lemhi Valley. This is the same path that the Nez Perce took after the battle at the Big Hole. Lewis and Clark also climbed over this path looking for the water way to the Pacific Ocean. It was a whole lot easier for us today than it was for any of them.

We followed the Salmon River for miles. It started out as a small stream and ended up a good size river.

P1060548

Saw some cute babies along the way. There were two other little ones but they were hiding behind Mama.

P1060560

Tonight we are at Heald Haven RV Park 12 miles south of Salmon. We don’t have any cell service or internet but we have absolutely gorgeous surroundings. The Salmon River is just down the bank from us. And take a look at these canyon walls. My pictures truly do not do them justice.

P1060556

P1060587

P1060588

Our neighbors’ dog, a St. Bernard.

P1060554

The deer wander freely through the campground. May I help you with some propane sir?

P1060559

The office is this way.

P1060585

Whoa there! Not too close.

P1060586

This is our spot for the night.

P1060589

12 comments:

  1. aw jeeeez with the deer. he/she's looking right at you... gorgeous country where you are now.... it is frustrating to see stunning colors and arrangements and not be able to capture them on the camera.

    love seeing horses out like that and baby horses especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are traveling through a beautiful area. We hope to make it there next summer on our way back from Tucson. It's a little out of the way, but hopefully we won't be in a hurry to get back to the East coast for something or the other.

    Jim is sure lucky to have an understanding wife in regard to fishing. Gerry used to go fishing with me and I let her run the trolling motor and also row us back to the boat launch. She actually enjoyed doing both, so it worked out fine for us.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet following the Salmon River just broke Jim's heart.

    Those little ones running around are so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, it looks like a route I'd like to drive sometime from Idaho to Montana! I find both states completely stunning, even when the scenery isn't the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful scenery you are seeing, glad that you could share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We came over Lost Trail Pass twice this summer and both times we saw snow. I love that road and I also love our exhaust brake when we take it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We came over Lost Trail Pass twice this summer and both times we saw snow. I love that road and I also love our exhaust brake when we take it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great drive. I am glad Jim did not hold it against you for pretenting to like fishing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a pretty great spot too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a good spot to hang out and I've fallen in love with the look of the western rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have relatives in White Bird, ID, but that doesn't look to be on your route. Let me know if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm catching up with my blog reading. That's a pretty drive along the Salmon. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.